Maravalli kizhangu also known as Tapioca / kuchi kizhangu is the starch from cassava roots. It has high carbohydrates and when taken in moderate quantity helps in weight gain. It is also gluten free and free of common allergens.
This recipe is made by grinding the Tapioca with rice and lentils. It serves as a good and healthy option for breakfast / dinner.
Ingredients (Makes 9 to 10 adais)
|Soaking time – 3 hours|
Preparation time – 10 mins
Cooking time – 3 mins per adai
- Raw rice – 3/4 cup
- Parboiled / Idli rice – 3/4 cup
- Channa dal – 1/2 cup
- Toot dal – 1/4 cup
- Tapioca / Maravalli Kizhangu – 2 cups, peeled and chopped
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Red chillies – 6 to 7
- Oil – as needed
- Salt – as needed
- Wash and soak rice and dal in enough water for 2 – 3 hours.
- Grind salt, red chillies and salt coarsely.
- Drain water from the rice and dal and grind them without adding water.
- Cut the tapioca into small pieces and grind it along with the dal and rice.
- Add required water and grind to a batter consistency.
- Heat a tawa, drizzle oil and when hot, pour a ladle of the prepared adai batter and flatten it.
- Drizzle little more oil and cook covered for 2 to 3 mins till the base is golden brown.
- Flip and cook for a min.
- Repeat the steps for the remaining batter.
Bored of the regular dosai / adai ?? Do try this tapioca adai and your will definitely not regret !! You can have them with chutney / sambar. I had them with jaggery and ghee, my all time favourite combo !
I have used a mix of raw rice and parboiled rice. You can use just raw rice too.