Paruppu usili is a popular and protein packed dish from Tamil Nadu, South India.
It is made by softening the dal by soaking, steaming and mixing them with the vegetables of your choice. In this recipe, I have made cluster beans / kothavarangai paruppu usili. You can prepare it with beans, vazhathai poo, cabbage too.
This is a versatile side dish that can be paired with any South Indian gravy like kuzhambu, sambar or rasam. It tastes yumm with curd rice too !!
Ingredients (Serves 3)
|Soaking time – 1 to 2 hours|
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 25 mins
- Kotharavangai / cluster beans – 200 g
- Kadalai Paruppu / Channa dal – 1/2 cup
- Toor dal – 1/4 cup
- Red chillies – 4
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Hing – 1/8 tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Oil – 1.5 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Soak channa dal and toor dal in enough water for at least two hours.
- Boil littlewater and add kothavarangai, turmeric and salt to it. Cook for 4 to 5 mins till done.
- Drain the dal and then grind them with red chillies, hing, salt into a thick mixture with no water.
- Steam the mixture for 6 to 7 mins.
- Let it cool down.
- In a pan, add oil and when hot, add mustard. When it splutters, curry leaves.
- Add the cluster beans.
- Add the usili and mix well.
- Switch off the flame.
Mor kuzhambu / vattal kuzhambu is a perfect combination for usili.