Seedai is a traditional Indian snack that can be made sweet or savory. It’s so crisp and a perfect snack . It is made mostly during Krishna Jayanthi / Gokulashtami.
Vella Seedai is the sweet version of the traditional snack seedai. It’s made with rice flour and jaggery and is so relish.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
|Preparation time – 10 mins|
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Homemade rice flour – 1 cup
- Sesame seeds – 1/2 tbsp
- Urad dal flour – 1/2 tbsp
- Jaggery – 1/2 cup
- Coconut – 2 tbsp, grated
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Oil – to deep fry
- To prepare the homemade rice flour, refer the uppu seedai recipe.
- Heat 3 tbsp water and add the powdered jaggery. Boil till the jaggery melts completely. Filter the jaggery water for any impurities.
- In a bowl, add rice flour, sesame seeds, urad dal flour, coconut, cardamom powder, ghee and salt.
- Add water carefully and prepare the dough.
- Make small balls of the dough.
- Heat oil to deep fry, drop the balls in batches when the oil is hot.
- Fry in low flame till the colour changes.
- Drain the excess oil using kitchen towel.
- Store in a air tight container. Stays good for more than a week.
Tasty Vella seedai can be offered to the lord Krishna !!
- You can use store bought Idiyappam flour / rice flour instead of the homemade rice flour.
- To prepare the urad dal flour, dry roast urad dal till golden brown. Cool down and powder it. Sieve the flour and store it in a air tight container.
- To avoid bursting, just let the balls to dry a little before dropping in oil.
- You can also pierce small holes in the ball dough to avoid bursting.
- The sweetness in the seedai was mild. You can increase the jaggery quantity of you like it sweeter.