The arisi upma / pidi kozhukkatais are a twist from your regular upma. They are so delicious and extremely easy to prepare. They are prepared using broken rice with spices, you can use regular raw rice or get broken rice from stores.
It can be had for breakfast or dinner.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
|Preparation time – 5 mins|
Cooking time – 20 mins
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Sesame oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Red chillies – 2, broken
- Channa dal – 1 tbsp
- Whole Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Hing / asafoetida – pinch
- Water – as needed
- Salt – as needed
- Break the raw rice coarse in a mixer grinder.
- In a pan, add oil, mustard, red chillies, channa dal, urad dal, hing and curry leaves.
- Once the dal changes colour add 3 cups of water and salt.
- When the water starts to boil, add the broken rice to it.
- Cook closed in low flame till all the water is absorbed.
- Switch off the flame and add 1 tbsp of sesame oil and mix well.
- Allow it to cool. Meanwhile, apply oil on the idli plates.
- Now, take a palm full of the mixture prepared and make kozhukattais by rolling them.
- Use oil and rub your palm to roll it easier.
- Repeat the steps for the entire mixture and place them on the idli plates.
- Steam the kozhukattais in the idli cooker for 6 to 7 minutes.
- Switch off and serve them warm.
You can have the arisi upma kozhukattais with thogayal / chutneys. We had them idli podi and peerkangai thol thogayal and they were an awesome combination!!
Try this finger licking combo !!!
- You can add 3 tbsp of grated coconut to the recipe if you like.