Marinara Sauce is made with tomatoes, garlic, herbs and onions. It is widely used in Italian cuisine.
I have used fresh tomatoes to make this tasty sauce. It is easy to prepare and not so thick. It can be used in pasta, pizza and casserole recipes. You can make this sauce before hand and store in refrigerator or freeze it for a longer use.
Ingredients (Makes 2 cups)
|Preparation time – 10 mins|
Cooking time – 40 mins
- Fresh tomatoes – 10 small, finely chopped
- Garlic – 5, finely chopped
- Small onion – 6, finely chopped
- Oregano – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Brown sugar – 1/4 tsp
- Olive oil – 1/4 cup
- In a pan, add olive oil, garlic and onions and sauté till transparent.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, salt and cook covered for 30 to 35 mins.
- Add red chilli powder, oregano and brown sugar and cook for 3 to 4 mins till the tomatoes have completely turned mushy.
- Switch off the flame and let it cool.
- Refrigerate in a air tight container or freeze it for longer shelf life.
- Use ripe red tomatoes for a bright color and more tasty sauce.
- This sauce is generally very lightly spiced, you can alter the spiciness as per your preference.