Adai is a healthy and protein rich food made of rice and lentils. It can be had for breakfast or dinner and is filling, nutritious and yummy.
The crispy Adais are very easy to prepare and a wholesome food in the South Indian cuisine.
Ingredients (Makes 8)
|Soaking time – 4 to 5 hours|
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 30 mins
- Raw rice + Parboiled rice – 1 cup
- Channa dal – 1/2 cp
- Toor dal – 1/4 cup
- Moong dal – 1/8 cup
- Whole urad dal – 1/8 cup
- Red chillies – 3
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Rock Salt – as needed
- Onion – 2, finely chopped
- Coriander leaves – 1 bunch, finely chopped
- Curry leaves – 1 bunch, finely chopped
- Soak rice and dal separately for 3 to 4 hours.
- In a mixer, add red chillies, salt and asafoetida and grind coarsely.
- Now drain water from the dal and add the dal to the mixer.
- Grind it with very little water to form a thick batter and keep it aside.
- Drain water from the rice and add the rice to the mixer and grind it smooth with water.
- Mix the rice batter and dal batter together to prepare the Adai batter.
- Let it rest for 1 hour.
- Add onions, curry leaves and coriander leaves to the batter.
- Heat a tawa, drizzle oil and add the prepared a ladle of adai batter.
- The batter will not be runny like dosa batter. Just flatten it round and drizzle little oil.
- Cook till the base turns golden brown.
- Flip the Adai and cook for 3 minutes till the other side is also done.
- Transfer to a plate and repeat the steps with the remaining batter.
We had Adai with aviyal, jaggery and ghee and the combo was just heavenly !!!!