Broken wheat also known as Samba rava / Dalia is a coarsely ground whole wheat which is an excellent source of fiber and provides essential nutrients.
It can be used to prepare pongal, kichadi, upma etc. This is a simple and quick breakfast option that is healthy.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
|Preparation time – 5 mins|
Cooking time – 15 mins
- Wheat Rava – 1.25 cups
- Moong Dal – 1/4 cup
- Green Chilli – 1
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Pepper – 1 tsp
- Ginger – 1 inch, finely chopped
- Cumin – 1 tsp
- Cashew – 6 to 8
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Water – 5.5 cups
- Salt – as required
- In a pressure pan, add ghee and fry the cashews. Keep them aside.
- In the same pan, add cumin, pepper, ginger, curry leaves and allow it to splutter.
- Add the moong dal and fry until light brown.
- Add the wheat rava and saute well till it changes color.
- Add water, salt, mix well and allow it to boil.
- Cover the lid and cook in medium flame for 2 whistles.
- Garnish with the fried cashews and the delectable Wheat rava pongal is ready to be served.
We had it with coconut chutney, sambar and it was delicious !!!
- The water consistency and the whistle count may vary depending on the temperature its being cooked and the quality of the rava.